Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Surrendering the Hallelujahs



During the season of Epiphany, I had a subdued dread of the coming of the surrender of the singing of the hallelujahs and of the Gloria in Excelsis that we observe during Lent. It amplified my sense of the reason for which the Lord Jesus was born into the world and the reason for the Epiphany.


While I count the traditional omission to be valuable, it always causes me to experience feelings of angst and uneasiness. But then, that is the purpose. And it does work effectively in my soul.

Today is Ash Wednesday and the more austere time of the Church Year has come.

As I observe the situations in the world, observing the encroachment of times of austerity imposed by globalist elites, I find myself wondering whether the time may come when I set aside this tradition. It may be that worldly conditions become so austere that my need for the perpetual hallelujahs will prevail.

Of course, the liturgical practice does not remove the hallelujah from me, nor from the Church. It only removes it from the formal worship. It only serves as a reminder of the fact that metanoia is a never ending need and that true expression of hallelujah is only possible because of the Holy Spirit’s working of metanoia in the heart, mind, and soul.

It is hard really even to realize fully what the Lord’s second coming will establish. No more sorrow. No more tears. No more need for metanoia. Simply everlasting hallelujahing in the newness of life in the glorious fullness of the Lord’s presence! Truly everlasting uninterrupted joy and jubilation is impossible fully to fathom, but I surely do look forward to it with eager anticipation!

+ + +

No comments: