Monday, March 05, 2012

Sinus Congestion

Sinus Congestion is a serious malady when one experiences it. It is uncomfortable and inconvenient at best and painful in more extreme conditions.

Accompanying the congestion sinus drip or drainage is also common, which can produce a hacking cough that seems to linger forever.

Today I heard a radio advertisement that many other people very likely have heard many times before. It probably is not anything new to most who will read this post, but it was new to me today. I only listen to the radio when in my truck, so my exposure to radio programs and advertisements is quite limited. On this occasion I heard the advertisement during one of the breaks on the Peter Schiff show, an Internet/radio program also new to me today. Actually I heard multiple versions of advertisements for the product in question.

What was the product? Advil Congestion Relief. One video version Bedtime Story is embeded below. Since I don’t watch TV, I have not encountered it before.



This ad sounds wonderful to anyone seeking relief from sinus congestion and its side effects.

However, one may want to consider the side effects listed at Ibuprofen Side Effects. This site lists three pages of side effects. Some of the more serious ones include:

  • Chest pain
  • Shortness of breath
  • Weakness on one part of your body
  • Slurred speech
  • Allergic reactions
  • Liver damage
  • Fatigue
  • Excessive tiredness
  • Kidney problems, including kidney failure
  • Fluid retention or unexplained weight gain
  • Congestive heart failure
  • Depression
  • Insomnia
  • Hair loss
  • High blood pressure (hypertension)
  • Meningitis

There is quite a long list of possible side effects, some more serious than others.

It seems prudent to me that we all should be very careful about how freely we use these types of medications.

In the past I suffered from this kind of sinus congestion and drainage. Every winter I would develop a hacking cough that lasted for months. Several years I called our doctor and he prescribed a course of antibiotics which had absolutely no positive effect. Then he prescribed a second round of a more potent antibiotic that likewise had no positive effect. All I was doing was adding poisons to my system and weakening my natural immunity.

One year I asked at a health food store and was told about Bromelain, an enzyme extracted from pineapple. I tried it and my condition cleared up entirely within a week of using this natural product that has zero negative side effects. Later, my wife also experienced congestion and we added wild oil of oregano as well as the bromelain and her condition cleared in three days.

I later told our doctor this wonderful news and he informed me that he knew about bromelain. So why did he never tell me?

Bromelain and oil of oregano are natural anti-inflammatory substances. The wild oregano is stronger and more effective. For the last few years we have started raising our own oregano and use it in our diet. My wife also has started purchasing fresh pineapple and we have a portion on our breakfast plate along with banana and citrus and other fruit slices.

This year I had one slight flair of sinus congestion and drainage and consumed bromelain and oil of oregano for one day. Otherwise we both have been free of any significant symptoms.

To my thinking this is a much better way to live. Good food versus pharmaceutical poison does not leave me with much need for deep contemplation on the matter.

+ + +

No comments: