Thursday, December 15, 2011

Flu Season Warning

Many years ago, when I was attending the seminary and living in the dorm, I received my first and only flu vaccination. The seminary nurse was offering it to us at a much reduced cost.

That year I had the worst case of the flu that I have ever experienced. When I later spoke with the seminary doctor (who volunteered his time weekly) he said, “That is why I never recommend the flu shots. In my experience at least 65% of those who receive it suffer the flu from it.”

I learned my lesson.

An article by Dr. Brownstein gives the same informaiton: Flu Season Mild So Far -- Expert Urges: Don’t Get the Shot.

Please see the article. One of his comments there is: “I do not recommend people get the flu shot,” he says. “It has never been conclusively shown to protect people from the flu and has not been shown to prevent it in the elderly.”

Alternatively, he advises that you:

  • Frequently wash your hands.
  • Eat a healthy diet.
  • Drink enough water.
  • Make sure you get adequate vitamin D.
  • Supplement with vitamin C


These are explained in more detail at Flu Season Mild So Far -- Expert Urges: Don’t Get the Shot.


Additionally, we need to be sure to have sufficient rest/sleep. Our body and immune system become weakened when we are sleep deprived.

- - -

1 comment:

facial surgery said...

Yeah, You are right. This is the good warning given by you. I just will take care with it. We all should prevent with flu.