Tuesday, August 02, 2011

What Do You Want?

With my birthday anniversary approaching my wife asked me to give her a list of things that I want for my birthday. She specified that the things that I have purchased for the business needs do not count.

She asked this of me nearly three weeks ago. I still cannot think of anything.

This actually came as a mild surprise to me. I cannot think of anything that I want, at least not that can be purchased in a store.

I stopped at a computer place recently and shared this with the fellow at the counter. He responded, “Oh boy! I could give you a list!”

I answered, “Please do.”

He said that there are loads of technological things. His first suggestion was a flat screen TV. I explained that we don’t watch TV. We have not watched TV for over eleven years. We do rent videos, but even these are garbage, so why would we invest in blue ray or a high definition televison screen to examine garbage more closely?

He and I spoke more about the fact that I cannot think of anything that I want. With a look of bewilderment or amazement he responded that this is a very good place to be. He said that he did not understand it personally, but that it would be a very good place to be.

Now, this is not to say that I do not recognize that it would be good for us to have newer and more reliable vehicles and such, but these things are not birthday oriented wishes. Besides, we are getting along. We have running vehicles that we can keep repaired fairly reasonably. God has given me a wife who loves me. He has given me a place to stay, even a house. I have daily food and drink. I have the Gospel and the means of grace.

The things that I really want are healing within our family and within the Church. What I want most of all is for unity in doctrine and practice to be restored among those who claim to be in Christ Jesus. This is my greatest cause for want in my life. This is the one thing for which I truly long. This is my daily cry. Oh that our loved ones and friends and all who say that they believe in Jesus would return to the clear and unwavering Truth in both their confession and in their communions. If this occurred I would have all that I could ever desire. This would satisfy me and fill me with joy beyond measure.

+ + +

1 comment:

Gary Cepek said...

"The things that I really want are healing within our family and within the Church. What I want most of all is for unity in doctrine and practice to be restored among those who claim to be in Christ Jesus. This is my greatest cause for want in my life. This is the one thing for which I truly long. This is my daily cry. Oh that our loved ones and friends and all who say that they believe in Jesus would return to the clear and unwavering Truth in both their confession and in their communions. If this occurred I would have all that I could ever desire. This would satisfy me and fill me with joy beyond measure."

We agree, Pastor Siems, that such a gift from the LORD would be meet our deepest yearnings. For such we pray, study, and strive with the strength only the LORD can and does give by Word and Sacraments.

The counterpoint to this, so to speak, is the certainty that the Father's good and gracious will is most certainly done as He, independent of man, and yet at the same time graciously using the words and deeds of His sons in Christ, breaks and defeats every evil plan and purpose of the devil, the world, and our own sinful flesh that try to prevent us from hallowing His Name, and letting His kingdom come; and He most certainly strengthens and keeps us firm in His Word and in the faith as long as we live. Thus, it is the certainty that His will is done, grasped by faith alone, that offers us comfort when our reason cannot see what God is doing because of that people are or are not doing.

Gary Cepek