Tuesday, April 05, 2011

Oh, that the Lord Would Guide My Ways

Repent! Be turned! Oh how easily one sees the need in others. But the mirror of God’s Law is first for self.

I have written twice in defense of a new friend who has been attacked both by his opponent and by some who support his opponent. But did I speak with the attackers directly?

Visiting the other man’s campaign web site yet again, I read more carefully and learned that his father is a pastor of a church. I thought, “Oh my! How is this possible? Have they not discussed this?”

So I called and asked. Behold, indeed, father and son have discussed these matters. Moreover, the father shared with me things about the campaign that I did not know. One of the things that I count as very significant is that what was published in his son’s name was sometimes not known to his son until after it was mailed.

I regret that I did not think to call earlier. My primary concern is that all parties hear that which is beneficial and in accord with God’s will.

Surely we all are responsible for what we ourselves do. Surely we also are accountable for what we allow to be done in our name.

I very much enjoyed the conversation that I had as a result of calling the pastor and father of the one for whom I was concerned. While perhaps I should have contacted the person himself, I am very relieved by what I have learned. I also repent of my own shortsightedness.

A reactionary response will almost always fall short. I hope that I have not spoken too strongly or inappropriately myself. I do believe that the concerns expressed are necessary, but I do hope that I have not been overly reactionary.

I also hope that both candidates will take to heart the importance of maintaining control over what is done in their names, especially by those whom they have hired to represent them. It seems to me that both candidates have good intentions and that both have had misrepresentation both from within and from without. There are powerful lessons to be learned by all concerned.

My thoughts in this matter turned to a hymn, which I began humming. I love the richness of these hymns and I share the words of this hymn now:


"Oh, that the Lord Would Guide My Ways"

1. Oh, that the Lord would guide my ways
To keep His statutes still!
Oh, that my God would grant me grace
To know and do His will!

2. Order my footsteps by Thy Word
And make my heart sincere;
Let sin have no dominion, Lord,
But keep my conscience clear.

3. Assist my soul, too apt to stray,
A stricter watch to keep;
And should I e'er forget Thy way,
Restore Thy wandering sheep.

4. Make me to walk in Thy commands,--
'Tis a delightful road,--
Nor let my head or heart or hands
Offend against my God.

† † †

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wanted to take just a moment to thank you for your very thoughtful words. I think what we have found is that this segment of "electing our officials" needs to be impacted by the "Golden Rule.(not the way the World defines it "The one who has the gold rules"), but doing unto others, or even a more difficult statement from our Lord to "Love your Enemies".

May God Bless you and may He help us do a better job of being kind in this arena.

Yours for Christ,

Pastor Mike

Dr. Michael O'Donnell
Sr. Pastor
Grace Batist Church

XOXO Dr. Kay Elizabeth said...

Beautiful poem. Please come and check out my blog at medschooldream.blogspot.com. Let me know what you think and please please please leave a comment. See I begged and I am a stranger how weird and serious is that?..lol. Thank you :)