Friday, March 14, 2008

No Country for Old Men

This was not a movie that I had planned to watch, but my wife rented it for this evening. As we loaded it into the machine I said, “You know, this is going to be a brutal movie.”

When Llewelyn finds the money my wife asked, “What would you do?” I asked, “Do you mean would I keep it or turn it in?” She replied, “Yes.” I said, “I don’t expect that would even be a decision that I would have to make as I would likely call the police and leave it to them to handle the entire matter.” She said, “It doesn’t belong to anyone. I think I should keep it.”

At the end of the movie, after seeing all the evil that resulted from Llewelyn’s greedy decision, I asked, “So, do you still think that you should keep the money?” She gave a sheepish smile with a lowered countenance. I replied, “You see, Dear? Honesty is not the best policy. It is the only policy.” She gently nodded.

Frankly though, I don’t believe my wife would keep the money. She’d think about it, but she would act in accord with the good conscience given to her in her baptism.

No comments: