Saturday, March 15, 2008

How Did Jesus Die?

In a Wichita Eagle article entitled, “How Did Jesus Die?,” the sub headline reads, “Physicians say studies of Jesus' crucifixion and death led them to a stronger understanding of their Christian faith.”

In this article the various bodily traumas are pondered and conclusions are drawn as to what caused Jesus to die so quickly. While the studies are very astute, one very important fact is ignored. The Scriptures record that Jesus surrendered His spirit to the Father. The Lord Jesus plainly declared:
As the Father knoweth me, even so know I the Father: and I lay down my life for the sheep. And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd. Therefore doth my Father love me, because I lay down my life, that I might take it again. No man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This commandment have I received of my Father.

There was a division therefore again among the Jews for these sayings. And many of them said, He hath a devil, and is mad; why hear ye him?

Others said, These are not the words of him that hath a devil. Can a devil open the eyes of the blind?
(John 10:15-21)

Jesus died by the will of God. He laid down His life. It was not taken from Him. He suffered. He suffered all the suffering of the world. Then He laid down His life by the power of the author of life. The power over life is His and for our sake He surrendered His life that we might live. He laid down His life in order to take it up again so that in His resurrection we also would have the victory over the power of death. Because He lives, so do we.

Yet many still quarrel over His sayings. Many still look for answers beyond His clear words. Many look for evidence, when the evidence already stands written.

When the Author of Life has given us the written record, and has added to it the body of life into which He baptizes us and feeds us the Supper of forgiveness and life, what other evidence could come close? What other evidence could we possibly imagine that we could need?

No comments: