Friday, April 20, 2012

Privacy?


A few minutes ago I called VIPRE support (my firewall and anti-virus security company) regarding the plethora of fraudulent e-mails that I receive daily.  Today one claimed that a payment to the federal government failed.  Another used the AT&T payment cover page.

The Vipre representative was friendly, kindly, and helpful, as always and assured me that this is a phishing issue and not an infection issue, but to continue being cautious not to click on anything nor to give any information in response to these e-mails and never, ever to open an attachment from them.

A few minutes after speaking with this very nice gentleman I received a support ticket e-mail from Vipre.  I was startled on account of the fact that I did not give my name, phone number, e-mail address, nor any other personal information during the phone conversation.  Apparently the Vipre phone support system has a direct link to their computer, which reads the caller ID and extrapolates all other information held in their database and generates a support ticket e-mail.

While on the one hand I am impressed that Vipre is so thorough as to send a support ticket, it also leaves me feeling terribly disconcerted that such information compiling is occurring.

This shows how much data is being gathered by big companies regarding each of us.  It shows how even a simple phone call is being tracked and linked to other information concerning each of us, not only by companies with whom we do business, but by others, including the federal government.

Even more alarming is the awareness that this is only the tip of the iceberg.

- - -

No comments: