Friday, December 03, 2010

Are You Scholarly?

The other day, as I was deep into study, I suddenly thought, “Oh wow, I suppose that I actually am a scholar!” This came from realizing that I very much enjoy studying and growing in knowledge. I have never really “liked” school, but I have always enjoyed learning, even studying.

I’m not sure, though, that my attitude truly fits with the definition of a “scholar” or being “scholarly”.

From Merriam-Webster.com the definitions of scholar and scholarly are:

Definition of SCHOLAR

1: a person who attends a school or studies under a teacher : pupil

2a : a person who has done advanced study in a special field

b : a learned person

3 : a holder of a scholarship


Definition of SCHOLARLY

: of, characteristic of, or suitable to learned persons : LEARNED, ACADEMIC



Am I a scholar? Am I a scholarly? Perhaps not. But then, I suppose that depends upon the one being counted as my teacher of whom I am a student or disciple.


No comments: