Friday, October 14, 2011

Liberty for All

This past evening I was wandering in the local hardware store and made a very disturbing discovery. To my dismay I observed this sign by the cans of spray paint.



I inquired whether I understood what I read. Indeed, a law has been passed in Wichita that makes it illegal to sell to minors and for minors to purchase a can of spray paint or a broad tipped marker.

Here is the link for Ordinance 48-803.

I was shocked to learn of this outrageous attack on the rights of the young people of this city. How many thousands of innocent young people are treated wrongfully by this ordinance?

Most adults probably count this as a “minor” thing.

But what can be done against one group can also be done to all. History has shown this repeatedly.

Certainly those who deface property not their own should be held accountable. But this law does not do this. It punishes and restricts the freedoms of all who are of a certain class, and who have no legal voice, no vote.

More than 40 million pre-born citizens have been silenced since 1973, having no voice, no vote of their own. 40,000,000! And this figure does not include the last 11 years.

Where does the injustice stop? Will it stop when it reaches our rights? Oops, it has been quite a while since I have gone to the airport or to the city hall or the county courthouse.

But if ye had known what this meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice, ye would not have condemned the guiltless. (Matthew 12:7)

Woe unto them that decree unrighteous decrees, and that write grievousness which they have prescribed; To turn aside the needy from judgment, and to take away the right from the poor of my people, that widows may be their prey, and that they may rob the fatherless! (Isaiah 10:1-2)

Oh that I could plead innocence! But how many times have I simply turned away saying, “What can I do?” And now, truly, what can I do? I suppose that I can continue to speak out. Most certainly I can proclaim God’s forgiveness and salvation in Christ to one and all.

+ + +

1 comment:

Unknown said...

i here ya man, we are getting our rights stripped away from us as a nation, its ridiculous isn't it?