Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Valentine’s Day

While the accounts of St. Valentine are varied, they all teach us of love and affection that far exceed any mere emotion or infatuation.

Such is the love that is incorporated into those who are enjoined in marriage. Of course the supreme demonstration of this love is in the marriage of Christ and His bride, for whom He has given Himself, for whom He paid the supreme price.

I wish that my love could be compared to His. Nevertheless, the Lord has fulfilled my manhood through the gift of a bride who holds me with esteem as though I deserved it. While I could hope that she would willingly tolerate me and endure me, rather, she holds me with a love that reflects the love that God has given to her. While I could hope that she would find some small blessing in our marriage, she gives thanks to God that He has brought us together and bound us in the faith that we share. Moreover, as she subjects herself to me as her earthly head, the blessings are multiplied as I proclaim the immeasurable treasures of the Gospel and she responds by declaring this proclamation as what she is most thankful for in life.

How can I ever give sufficient thanks to God for such a wife? How can I ever love her sufficiently to honor rightly this amazing treasure? Thanks be to God that He declares me to be holy and worthy of love on the basis of the merits of Jesus, and my wife says to His gracious declaration, ❤ ❤ ❤ “Amen!” ❤ ❤ ❤

No comments: